Thursday, October 13, 2016

Ride planning and hittin' the ground

I had to rack my brain today to try and remember when this ball got rolling and when Deb and I began planning the ride.
I know it was on a cold Saturday in the winter, while mucking out stalls at the B-B so I am going to guess December of last year, 2015.
Deb has that way of just starting a conversation like I know what she's talking about but most times the conversation began in her head and with herself and then she remembers I am standing there and saunters over, with that big smile and starts with "Hey- I have this idea....."
which is what happened that day in the barn when she shared her dream of riding the CT all the way through.
I of course as a green rider-green horn again gave the perfect answer- " Sure , sounds like fun!" No consideration of what it might actually take to do this ride besides learning to stay in the saddle again and off the ground.
I had already by this time had a couple of falls resulting in a cracked rib and a bruised tail bone while my green little Morgan mare stared at me after each fall with that baffled look as if trying to figure out where I had gone and why I was crawling along the ground in the arena.  What is that saying for new horse owners-green on green makes black and blue? Oh yea Deb recently found a nice little CD with those exact lyrics in a song - could have been written for me for sure. But it always seems like no big deal when Deb comes over as I pick myself up off the ground , puts her arm around my shoulders and says " You are one tough chick".
The planning began that day and for the last ten months it has been the thing that drives us to work hard with the horses and ourselves to get ready for "The Big Ride".

No comments:

Post a Comment